Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Thing # 2: 7 1/2 Habits

I watched "7 1/2 habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners" with interest. I was happy that I could recognize and actually practice to some degree most of the habits. The one I identify most closely with is "taking responsibility for your own learning." It seems I am always signing up for a workshop or class (sometimes it drives my family nuts that I am always taking another course). I also read constantly on any number of topics - my house and car are overflowing with newspapers, books, and magazines. Each year I challenge myself to try something new - whether its needlwork, learning to knit (that didn't go to well - I am left handed and all thumbs :), or trying a new recipe. I always want to learn more.

The habit I struggle with is Habit 1 "begin with the end in mind". When I jump in to my 'learning' I often have no idea where it is going to go. I'll start because it seems fun or interest me but beyond that I have no idea what I am going to do with the skill. Then I get frustrated because I don't have a plan and the new skill gets set aside and often forgotten about.

So I guess a new goal for me is to take a breath, think and make a plan before I leap into my next learning adventure.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

In many ways I think choosing to be an educator and a librarian in particular, we are all branded with the life-long learning bug. Everyday, through helping our students and co-workers, we are learning about new things. Like you, I want to do it all. I have to force myself to think of that end, also.